Ubisoft licensed its award-winning Chessmaster game engine to PlayFirst, a leading publisher of popular games targeted at the mass market through all online consumer platforms. PlayFirst developed a downloadable version of Chessmaster, called Chessmaster Challenge, with the goal of taking the intimidation factor out of chess. Perfect for chess beginners and casual chess fans, Chessmaster Challenge differs from Chessmaster 10th Edition in its simplified interface, and scaled-down tutorials. It’s a non-retail product available for trial and purchase through download only.
Learn and improve your chess game at every level with Chessmaster Challenge — your teacher, mentor, and ultimate opponent!
Master the world’s most popular game and discover the Chessmaster in you! Based on the award-winning Chessmaster series, with over 5 million copies sold, Chessmaster Challenge is your teacher, mentor, and ultimate opponent. Whether you are learning chess, improving your strategy, or competing against international masters like Josh Waitzkin, this game will make you a better player while offering hours of mind-twisting fun. Get ready to battle the Chessmaster himself!
New to chess?
Try the step-by-step tutorials where you learn at your own pace. You can learn how pieces move, how to Castle, avoid common move pitfalls, create a Fork and other playing strategies used by grand chess masters around the world. Take a break from the tutorials to practice your strategies, with six chess sets and over 25 AI opponents to choose from.
Up for a puzzling challenge?
Now one of the oldest games in history has a new way to test your skills. Tickle your brain with 8 types of chess puzzles to test your know-how before competing against friends. Mastering strategies like finding Forks, Checks, Checkmates, and Pinned pieces will aid you in your quest to become a Chessmaster. Don’t worry, you won’t get the same puzzle twice!
Ready to Checkmate?
Jump right into your game with six chess set designs and one of two game modes. Choose Training mode if you want to learn from your mistakes, master opening strategies, and receive hints such as Legal or Dangerous Moves. Play Ranked mode if you’re ready for real competition with tournament-style rankings. Watch out for expert players such as Josh Waitzkin!
- Learn & improve your chess game at every level. Wise enough to teach an absolute beginner and powerful enough to defeat a grandmaster.
- Six choices of chess board sets, including three 3D sets. Choose from Cartoon 2D, Egypt, Staunton Marble, Classic Wood, Old Paper, and Expert.
- Over 25 audio tutorials help you improve your strategy and dominate your opponent.
- 8 types of chess puzzles let you practice while you make your move!
- Training and Ranked tournament-style play – improve your game as you go, or challenge top ranked players and move up in the ratings!
- Over 25 AI opponents to challenge as you work your way to Chessmaster!
- Windows Version: Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
- Processor: Pentium III 700 MHz
- DirectX: 7.0
- RAM (MB): 128 MB
- Hard Disk Space: 40 MB
- Video Card Type: 3D Video Card
- Video Card RAM (MB): 4 MB minimum
- Video Card DirectX Version: 7.0
- Sound Card: recommended
Copyright (c) 2004-2005 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Chessmaster is a registered trademark and Ubisoft, ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. PLAYFIRST is a trademark of PlayFirst, Inc.